DO YOU HAVE 1 HOUR A WEEK TO CHANGE A LIFE?
BECOME A VOLUNTEER TUTOR
Click on the volunteer opportunity you'd like to learn more about.
Ozarks Literacy Council holds monthly tutor training sessions. The trainings alternate between a weekday or a Saturday. Each session is held at the Midtown Carnegie Library and lasts approximately 5 1/2 hours.
- Tutors help student improve their reading, writing and comprehension skills
- Tutoring sessions occur a minimum of one hour per week
- Tutoring sessions that are in person must be held in a public place (usually the libraries)
- Tutoring sessions may be online through Skype, Zoom, etc.
- Tutors and students are provided all materials at no charge
- Tutors report hours and progress monthly
- Students range in age and literacy knowledge (most are below a sixth grade reading level.)
- Tutoring times, locations and durations are individualized by the tutor and student schedules.
- If you are interested in attending a training, please fill out the Tutor Registration Form below.
- At Least 18 Years Old
- High School Reading Level
- Able To Speak And Write Clearly
- Complete Tutor Training Session (One-Time)
- Pass Background Check As Related To The Tutor Duties
- Commit To At Least One Year Of Tutoring (But We’re Flexible Depending On Situation)
Volunteers donate their time to read to a classroom 4 times during the school year. OLC provides these reading activities and books to 39 preschool classes throughout Springfield Public Schools. Introducing literacy at an early age sets the students up for success later in life. These interactive visits have prepared lesson plans for volunteers, a fun book related activity and provides a free book for each child. Each visit takes about 30 minutes. No training or prior experience is required.
We are in search of readers for next school year 2020-2021. Please fill out the form if you’re interested.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Pizza and Pasta Bowl in March, Trivia Night in September, and the OLC-BEE in November are OLC’s most exciting Special Events! Up to 30 volunteers are needed per event to help at these events doing tasks such as ticket sales, silent auction assistants, and so much more! Additionally, OLC works to get books in the hands of children by giving away free books at Community Events such CandyLand, Back to School Bash, Grant Beach Neighborhood Night Out and more. We are always in need of outgoing volunteers who would like to help give out books and promote OLC programs. If you enjoy a hands-on experience, OLC would love to have your help! Check out more information on events page. To download and fill out the volunteer data form, click here.